Ragi ladoos (Nachni ladoos)
Are you tired of the same old wheat and rice-based foods? Want to try something new and add some excitement to your diet? Well, we have got something for you! Introducing Ragi ladoos, the new hotness in the world of sweets.
These round, fluffy delicacies are not your average balls of sweetness. These little bundles of joy are packed with a punch of nutrition and a whole lot of taste.
They are made from Ragi, also known as Nachni or Finger Millet. It is a small but mighty grain that is packed with calcium, iron, and amino acids, making it a great choice for vegetarians and vegans looking to boost their intake of these essential nutrients.
A Detailed Recipe for Making Ragi Ladoos, Including Ingredients and Measurements
1 cup ragi flour
1/2 cup jaggery or brown sugar
1/2 cup A2 Bilona cow ghee
1/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, and pistachios)
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder (optional)
In a pan, dry roast the ragi flour on a medium flame for about 5 minutes or until it gives a nutty aroma. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning.
In a separate pan, heat the A2 bilona cow ghee over medium flame. Once hot, add the chopped nuts and sauté for a few minutes until they are golden brown.
Add the jaggery or brown sugar to the pan with the nuts and ghee and stir until the sugar is melted and well combined.
Remove from heat and add the roasted ragi flour, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder to the pan. Mix well to combine.
Let the mixture cool down for a few minutes.
Once cooled, take small portions of the mixture and roll them into small balls.
Ragi ladoos are now ready to be served. You can store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
Note: You can also add dry fruits like raisins and dates as per your preference. If the mixture is too dry, you can add more ghee as needed.
Ragi ladoos can be enjoyed as a healthy and delicious snack or sweet treat. They are perfect for those looking for a gluten-free and healthy option.
Health Benefits of Ragi Ladoos
Ragi is high in protein, iron, calcium, and dietary fibre, and has several health benefits when consumed regularly.
1. Helps in weight loss: Ragi is low in calories and high in fibre, which can help to keep you feeling full for longer and prevent overeating. This makes ragi ladoos a great snack option for those trying to lose weight.
2. Good for Blood Sugar Management: Ragi has a low glycemic index, which means it can help to regulate blood sugar levels. This makes ragi ladoos a good option for those with diabetes.
3. Rich in minerals: Ragi is rich in minerals such as calcium, iron, and magnesium. Calcium is important for strong bones and teeth, while iron is important for healthy red blood cells. Magnesium is important for healthy nerve and muscle function.
4. Good for lactating mothers: Ragi is high in calcium which is important for lactating mothers and can be beneficial for the baby as well.
5. Good for digestion: Ragi is high in fibre, which can help to promote regular bowel movements and prevent constipation.
6. Good for heart health: Ragi contains a high amount of magnesium which can help to regulate blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease.
7. Gluten-free: Ragi is gluten-free, making it a good option for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
Overall, ragi ladoos are a healthy and nutritious snack option that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is also a great way to include ragi in our diet and reap its benefits.
What Are Some Common Variations of The Traditional Ragi Ladoos?
Some common variations include:
1. Ragi and jaggery ladoo: This is the traditional version of the ragi ladoo where ragi flour is mixed with melted jaggery to form the dough.
2. Ragi and coconut ladoo: In this variation, grated coconut is added to the ragi and jaggery mixture, giving the ladoos a sweet and nutty flavour.
3. Ragi, sesame, and peanut ladoo: Here, sesame seeds and roasted peanuts are added to the ragi and jaggery mixture, providing a crunchy texture and nutty flavour.
4. Ragi and dry fruit ladoo: This variation uses a mixture of dried fruits like raisins, dates, and figs, along with ragi flour and jaggery, to create a sweet and nutritious ladoo.
5. Ragi and chocolate ladoo: This is a modern twist on the traditional recipe, where melted chocolate is added to the ragi and jaggery mixture to create a chocolaty treat.
These are just a few of the many variations of the traditional ragi ladoo recipe. The ingredients and flavours can be customized to personal taste preferences.
Personal Tips and Suggestions for Incorporating Ragi Ladoos into A Healthy Diet
1. Make it a part of your breakfast routine: Ragi ladoos are a great option for breakfast as it provides a good source of energy and nutrients to start your day. Pair it with a glass of warm milk for added protein and calcium.
2. Use it as a snack option: Ragi ladoos are a healthy and satisfying snack option that can help curb hunger and cravings between meals. It's a great way to stay on track with your diet goals.
3. Use it as a post-workout snack: Ragi is high in protein, which is important for muscle recovery after a workout. Eating ragi ladoos after a workout can help replenish lost energy and support muscle recovery.
4. Experiment with different flavours: While traditional ragi ladoos are made with jaggery, you can experiment with different sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup or dates syrup. You can also add different flavours such as vanilla, cocoa powder, or even coffee to make different variations of ragi ladoos.
5. Pair it with other healthy foods: Eating ragi ladoos with other nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, nuts, and seeds can help to balance out the meal and provide a wide range of nutrients.
By incorporating ragi ladoos into your diet and using these tips, you can enjoy the nutritional benefits of this traditional Indian sweet while still maintaining a healthy diet.
So, if you're looking to add some variety to your diet and boost your overall health, give Ragi ladoos a try. And if you don't have the time to make them at home, head to our website and buy some ragi ladoos today!
Our ragi ladoos are made with all-natural ingredients and are guaranteed to be fresh and delicious, so you can be sure you are getting a healthy and nutritious snack.