- Aid in digestion – Ajwain has been traditionally used to improve digestion and relieve digestive issues such as bloating, gas, and constipation
- Anti-inflammatory properties – May help reduce inflammation in the body
- Relieve respiratory issues – Ajwain has been traditionally used to relieve respiratory issues such as coughs, colds, and bronchitis
- Improve cholesterol levels: Ajwain has been found to have cholesterol-lowering properties, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- May have antimicrobial properties – Ajwain contains compounds that have antimicrobial properties, which may help prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and fungi.
- Weight Management – Ajwain may help with weight loss by improving digestion, reducing inflammation, and increasing metabolism.
Ajwain seeds, also known as carom seeds, are small, oval-shaped seeds that are commonly used in Indian cuisine and traditional medicine. Carom seeds are brownish-green in colour and have a distinctive, pungent aroma that is similar to thyme. Ajwain seeds have been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to eliminate a variety of ailments, including digestive issues, respiratory problems, and arthritis.
One of the key active compounds in ajwain is thymol, which has antiseptic and antifungal properties. Thymol is also a natural insecticide, which may explain why ajwain seeds have been used to repel insects in traditional medicine. Other active compounds in ajwain include cymene, terpinene, and limonene, which contribute to their unique flavour and aroma.
Ajwain seeds are typically used in small quantities in cooking, as they have a very strong and pungent flavour. They are often used in Indian bread such as naan and paratha, as well as in curries, chutneys, and pickles. Ajwain seeds are also used to flavour snacks such as samosas and bhajis. Organic Gyaan offers organic ajwain which is of premium quality and is often used to improve digestion and relieve digestive issues such as bloating, gas, and constipation. They are also used to get relief from respiratory issues such as coughs, colds, and bronchitis, as well as arthritis and other inflammatory conditions.
Overall, ajwain seeds are a versatile and flavourful spice with potential health benefits. However, as with any herbal supplement or spice, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional before using ajwain seeds for medicinal purposes.