Benefits & More
- High in Fibre – Supports digestive health & prevents constipation
- Rich In Antioxidants: Help protect the body from free radicals & oxidative stress
- Low Glycemic Index: Regulate blood sugar levels
- High In Magnesium – Promotes heart health
- Good Source of Protein – Provides energy
- Gluten-free: Suitable option for those who are gluten intolerant
Organic Gyaan’s barnyard millet flour or barnyard millet atta is authentically made using the Vedic process of stone grounding the whole barnyard millet grains. This barnyard flour is gluten free atta and has a slightly sweet, nutty flavour. Talking about barnyard millet nutrition, it is a good source of fibre, protein, and minerals such as iron, magnesium and phosphorus.
Barnyard millet flour or barnyard flour is versatile and can be used in a variety of recipes, including baked goods like cakes, breads, and rotis. It can also be used in savoury dishes like porridge, soups, and stews. It is a popular ingredient in traditional diets, particularly in South India and some parts of Africa.
Now, let’s know more about barnyard millet benefits for health:
- Being gluten free atta, barnyard millet atta is ideal for people with celiac diseases and who are gluten intolerant.
- Barnyard millets are super rich in dietary fibre and thus help provide support to gut health, and digestion and alleviate constipation.
- It is also low in calories so those who are watching their weight, including barnyard millet flour in their diet, will be great for healthy weight management.
- Barnyard millet flour is also high in carbs and essential nutrients which will help to boost your energy.
- It also has potent antioxidants that help reduce cholesterol levels, support heart health, and strengthen immunity.
Barnyard Millet is also known by other names such as:
- Barnyard Millet in Hindi is Jhangora
- Barnyard Millet in Tamil is Kuthiraivali
- Barnyard Millet in Telugu is Udalu
- Barnyard Millet in Kannada is Oodalu
- Barnyard Millet in Bengali is Shyama
How we make Activated Flour
Certainly, the process you're describing involves soaking the millets, sun-drying them, and then stone-grinding them to create activated flour. This method is commonly used in traditional food preparation and has its own set of benefits.
Here's a more detailed step-by-step guide based on the process you've mentioned:
Ingredients and Equipment:
- Millets (any variety you prefer)
- Water for soaking
- Stone grinder or any suitable grinding equipment
- Measure the desired amount of millets and rinse them thoroughly under running water.
- Place the millets in a bowl and cover them with enough water. Allow them to soak for 6 to 8 hours. This soaking process helps soften the millet and makes them easier to grind.
- Sun Drying:
- After soaking, drain the water from the millet.
- Spread the soaked millets evenly on a clean cloth or tray to allow them to sun-dry. Ensure they are exposed to sunlight for several hours until they are completely dried. The drying process may take a day or more, depending on the sunlight available.
- Stone Grinding:
Once the millets are thoroughly dried, use a stone grinder or any suitable grinding equipment to grind them into flour. The stone grinding method is often preferred for its ability to retain the nutritional integrity of the grains.
- Sieve if Necessary:
After grinding, you may choose to sieve the flour to achieve a finer texture, removing any larger particles.
Activated millet flour obtained through this process is likely to have a distinct flavor and nutritional profile due to the traditional methods used. It can be used in a variety of recipes, such as bread, pancakes, or other baked goods. Always follow food safety guidelines and use the activated millet flour as specified in your recipes.
What is barnyard millet flour?
Barnyard millet flour is a type of gluten-free flour made from the seeds of the barnyard millet plant. It is a popular alternative to wheat flour and is used in many traditional dishes in India.
What are the benefits of using barnyard millet flour?
Barnyard millet flour is a good source of fiber, protein, and essential nutrients like magnesium and phosphorus. It is also low in calories and has a low glycemic index, which can help regulate blood sugar levels.
How is barnyard millet flour used in cooking?
Barnyard millet flour can be used in a variety of dishes, such as bread, pancakes, porridge, and baked goods. It has a slightly nutty flavor and a light texture, which makes it a versatile ingredient.
Is barnyard millet flour gluten-free?
Yes, barnyard millet flour is gluten-free, which makes it a good option for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Where can I buy barnyard millet flour?
Barnyard millet flour is available in many health food stores, specialty food stores, and online retailers. It is also commonly found in Indian grocery stores.
How should I store barnyard millet flour?
Barnyard millet flour should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It can be stored for several months if kept in optimal conditions.
Can barnyard millet flour be used as a 1:1 substitute for wheat flour?
Barnyard millet flour can be used as a substitute for wheat flour in many recipes, but it may not always be a 1:1 replacement. It is best to follow a recipe that specifically calls for barnyard millet flour or to experiment with small amounts to determine the best ratio for your needs.